19 Jul Say “Adios” To Those Drab, Black Leggings
Dance fashion and fitness fashion is an interesting and ever evolving topic.
From sweat pants and full-length unitards to this new trend of just a high-cut leotard (which I hate, btw), and of course, the infamous black leggings, who you are as a dancer is instantly displayed by what you wear in the studio.
Believe it or not, a director, choreographer, or teacher will make their first impression of you and your abilities based off what you chose to wear.
But the struggle I face, and I’m sure you’ve experienced this as well, is wanting to have a killer wardrobe that makes you look and feel your best, without breaking the budget. I’m all for investing in pieces that will last, but a dance wardrobe, a gym wardrobe, and a wardrobe for the occasions you want to be an actual person… How can it be managed without breaking the bank?
I am not the fashion expert here. Clearly.
So I brought in dancer and lifestyle and fashion blogger, Carly Peterson, from Lashville Blog for some insight.
She’s about to give you the hottest trends so you can hop from barre, to barbell, to bar stool with your friends.
Hopefully, you’ll soon be able to Say Adios To Those Drab Black Leggings
Leggings are a part of life for the modern woman even if the haters say, “leggings aren’t pants.”
The math is easy; you can choose uncomfortable, bulky jeans or cute, comfy leggings that make your butt look good. So, let’s be honest with ourselves — leggings are pants, and we like them that way! We wear them to the gym, to the grocery store, to work, to get brunch with friends, and maybe even out to the bar (should I admit it?).
If the spandex phenomenon is a fashion essential, then why do we always lean towards wearing the generic black legging instead of embracing it head on? It’s time to mix up your wardrobe, take command of your closet, and get a little crazy with your legging game.
Luckily, I have made shopping simple by creating this essential legging guide that is sure to turn heads at the gym, in the studio, and wherever else you wish to wear these babies. The best part about each design is they are functional and fashionable so that you too can rock the athleisure style!
10 LEGGING DESIGNS TO MIX UP YOUR WARDROBE:
- The Mesh | Calling all street style lovers. The mesh legging is your go-to design to mix up your athleisure wardrobe. For the gym, pair the mesh leggings with a simple solid colored top and neutral colored sneakers. Let the leggings speak for you — a fashion rebel. After the gym, throw a cute jean or leather jacket on top of a graphic tee for a quick outfit change.
- The Lace-Up | The lace-up design is perfect for all you trendsetters out there. Whether the lace-up is in the front, side or back of your leggings, this design addition gives a solid colored legging style and edge. Pair your leggings with a printed tank, shirt or sports bra for the gym. Need to go somewhere after the gym? Throw on a lightweight sweater or cute crop top to change up your look.
- The Ribbon | For all you dancers or retired dancers, here’s a legging that imitates the pointe shoe ribbon design. This ladylike look makes your outfit elegant in any setting whether you’re at the yoga studio or brunch with your girlfriends. Pair the ribbon legging with a strappy tank and low rise sneakers. You can easily dress up the look after your workout by throwing on a lightweight sweater and your choice of sandals or mules.
- The Printed | The printed legging is perfect for women that like their style to stand out. Add a quirky, printed legging to mix up your athleisure wardrobe. From donuts to galaxy designs, you name it there’s a legging for it. Pick your favorite solid colored sports bra or tank and pair with a solid colored sneaker. Flaunt your confidence and turn heads with those quirky prints, girlfriend!
- The Capris | The capris style is perfect for women who like to stay casual and practical. This style is adaptable to all other designs whether you like a solid color, print, mesh, lace-up, etc. An added bonus to the capris is you can wear them in every season. While they are cute to workout or run errands in, I wouldn’t suggest wearing them out on the town; stick to full-length leggings for special outings.
- The Moto | This one is for the rocker babes. The moto includes a faux leather design that will make you look like a badass wherever you wear them. Complete your look with a graphic tee or crop top and dark colored sneakers. In a hurry to get to your next appointment? Throw on a leather or bomber jacket and your favorite booties to change up your outfit.
- The Cutout | This solid colored, ripped legging is perfect for women who like the tomboy style. The cutout legging is edgy yet simple. For the gym, wear the cutout legging with an oversized tee or sweatshirt and pair with Converse or Vans. After the gym, throw on an oversized jean jacket and knotted tee for a new look.
- The Floral | The floral legging design will bring out your inner girly style, and they are perfect for spring and summertime. To complete your outfit, match a solid colored tank top or sports bra to a color from the floral print leggings. After the gym, pair the floral legging with a graphic tank and button-down jean shirt or solid colored lightweight sweater.
- The Metallic | An 80s fashion throwback, the metallic legging design is for all you retro-chic babes. When choosing a metallic legging, stick with your three basic metallic colors: gold, silver, and bronze. This design is especially perfect as a transition legging. Not only will you look great at the gym in a simple top and black sneakers, but you can easily throw on a blouse and heels for a night out on the town.
- The Colorblock | For the bold and colorful, the color-block legging is great to liven up any athleisure wardrobe, but here’s the secret ladies: keep the bold and colorful on the leggings and not the rest of your outfit. When choosing a top for the gym or other outings pick a simple colored top (white, grey, black) and neutral colored sneakers (blush/tan, white, black, grey). Don’t go overboard on the color!
If you stick to this legging guide, your athleisure wardrobe will never look dull again.
Whatever design you choose or if you indulge in all 10 categories, remember that confidence is the most important piece to your ensemble, no matter how awesome your leggings are. For more shopping, I have included a list of great legging brands.
- Lululemon (decent style selection, high quality, expensive)
- Old Navy (decent style selection, decent quality, affordable)
- Bandier (great style selection, high quality, expensive)
- ALO Yoga (great style selection, high quality, expensive)
- Victoria’s Secret (decent style selection, good quality, affordable)
Thanks for reading!
Founder of Lashville